There are many musical instruments, and the piano is one of the most versatile instruments out there. A piano is large, heavy and expensive when it comes to initial investment and maintenance. Despite their high price, they are widely used by many musical enthusiasts ranging from children, parents to music professionals.
If you want to bring music to your home without breaking the bank, you can opt for a digital piano. The best digital piano have full 88keys keyboard with weighted action.
On this page, I will help you determine which are the best 88 key keyboards that you can purchase. After reading the reviews provide, it will be easy for you to compare and contrast the different models so that you can choose the right piano based on its features and the price.
Best 88 Key Keyboard Reviews
Alesis Recital 88-Key Beginner Digital Piano
If you have a kid, who loves playing piano, purchasing them the right instrument is the only way in which you can make their dreams come true. The Alesis Recital 88-Key keyboard is a perfect keyboard specially designed for novices who want to become pro keyboard players.
It has 5 built-in voices which include acoustic piano, electric piano, organ, synth, and bass. You can customize the voices by combining any two at once to come up with a rich tone.
I also love the powerful educational features of the keyboard. It has a lesson Mode that divides the keyboard into two areas with a similar pitch and voice, and this makes it easy for the student and the teacher to watch each other as well as play together without necessarily taking turns.
The keyboard has 88 sized keys with a semi-weighted design, and it reacts well to variable touch. Credits to its adjustable touch response mechanism.
- Great sound- The piano has a very natural sound with the lower notes coming from the left and the high stay right of the speaker, and the middle once is well centered.
- Sensitive keys- The keys of the instrument are sensitive based on how you depress, and this has an effect on the volume and the pitch.
- Portability- If you want something that you can easily carry, this is the best selection because it runs on batteries.
- Easy to follow lesson mode- This beginner piano is very easy to use. It suits even those who have never used a piano before. You can train and learn in a very short period.
- Only basics included- Being a beginner piano, it is not equipped with other add-ons, it only has the basics.
- Keys don’t feel good- Despite the keys being very sensitive, they don’t have a good feeling because are light and springy instead of semi-weighted.
M-Audio Keystation 88 II | 88-Key USB MIDI Keyboard
Purchasing a piano is making a huge investment so if you need an instrument that will last for many years, consider making a quality purchase. Try the M-Audio Keystation 88 II, and you will love playing with this lightweight and ultra-portable keyboard. It features 88 full-size velocity-sensitive keys that provide a natural piano feel.
The keyboard gives you Abelton Live Lite which provides a core performance and the best production functionality. It is also made with five pin midi output that triggers external midi equipment. You will also enjoy using the conveniently located transport and directional buttons that provide you with an interface that is simple to use for virtual instrument control and DAW.
The keyboard also features class compliant and USB specifications that offer an easy USB-midi connection hence making it perfect for playing virtual instruments, controlling recording software and much more.
- Includes Ableton Live Lite- This is a very powerful music performance and creation software.
- Ease of operation- The keyboard features transport and directional buttons that help you operate it with ease.
- Lightweight and portable-The keyboard is designed for players who love carrying their instrument when on the go. It doesn’t weight much, so it is very convenient to carry.
- Features USB-MIDI connection- This is a nice feature for playing virtual instruments and controlling recording software.
- SONiVOX Eighty-Eight Ensemble- This is a virtual piano instrument that captures 9 foot CD327 Steinway piano.
- Unreliable USB connection- Most customers complain of the USB not working after a few months of use, and others find it flimsy.
Yamaha P71 88-Key Weighted Action Digital Piano
Owning the best keyboard can make a big on how you learn, play or share music. For the most fun and wonderful experiences, it is worth purchasing a quality instrument like the Yamaha P71 88-Key Weighted Action Digital Piano.
It has 88 fully weighted piano-style keys that stimulate the feel of an acoustic piano and gives a nice playing experience. The piano has 10 different voices and digitally sampled tones from the real Yamaha acoustic grand pianos.
It also features a dual mode that allows you to combine two voices together for instance piano and strings to enhance your playing.
The keyboard features a slim and stylish design with a depth of 12 inches, and it requires very little space. It also weighs only 25 lbs making it easily portable.
- Has power adapter and sustain pedal- these are very important because they help you to get started right away when you receive your instrument.
- 10 different voices- you can customize your music as well as play different types of genres.
- Slim and stylish- this is one of the best pianos with a stylish design, and this makes it an ideal home design element.
- Weight- The instrument is considered as one of the most lightweight pianos.
- Quality issues- So many complaints on broken keys, broken body, stuck keys and loose piece in the body just to mention a few.
Williams Legato 88-Key Digital Piano
If you are looking for a pocket-friendly and portable digital piano, you might consider trying the Williams Legato 88-Key Digital Piano. This is 88 semi-weighted keys with five sounds which include piano, electric, organ, bass, and synth. You can select each voice at once, and they can also be layered to produce two voices. Alternatively, you can reassign to the right or left hands in the split mode.
The piano is designed with inbuilt speakers, and it is also ultra portable which makes it perfect for practicing and performing.
The piano is also designed with reverb and chorus buttons that can be applied to each voice individually. You just need to select either button to apply either effect.
Considering the price of the piano, you will be impressed with the sound the instrument produces. It also has semi-weighted keys that have the feel of a typical keyboard.
- Spilt mode- The keyboard can be divided into two sections to play different voices with the right and left hands.
- Voices- It provides you with five different voices, and you can play each voice at a time. The voices include piano, electric, organ, synth, and bass.
- Connectivity- You can connect it through its ports, and it interacts well with software and other devices.
- Uses battery- This makes it perfect for carrying to outdoor activities such as camping or to other places where there is no power supply.
- Portability- This is the only affordable digital keyboard that you can carry easily when performing or practicing.
- The keyboard doesn’t come with power supply- It would be great is the power supply was not included.
- Despite the fact that the instrument is portable, it feels cheap, and the construction is not robust.
Yamaha YPG-535 88-Key Portable Grand Piano
If you want to purchase the best 88 key keyboard, you can never be wrong with Yamaha. The company produces a wide range of quality musical instruments that meet the needs of the users.
The Yamaha YPG-535 88-Key Portable Grand Piano is just one of their best keyboards that are designed with a strong and well built integrated stand. It also provides a graded soft-touch action to give you the best experience.
Users of the keyboard also love the performance assistance technology that delivers fun and a flawless playing experience. The piano also features organized song title list music database that gives you a complete and easy keyboard setup.
On top of its attractive design, this keyboard also includes USB connectivity, sustain pedal and stand and an adapter.
- Suits all skill levels-The piano is perfect for beginners, and it can be used by a player of any skill level.
- Excellent tonality and sound pitch-it has a high-resolution sampling that makes the tonality sound pitch perfect
- Quality design- Pianists love the attractive Yamaha design of the piano.
- Connectivity- It gives you the opportunity to connect USB storage devices.
- Backlit LCD- You can easily see display lyrics chords and notation.
- Lesson grading-You can easily monitor your progress as you practice each lesson and you also get a grade.
- Small built-in memory- Its memory is low and about 360K, and it is very slow.
Williams Allegro 2 88-Key Hammer Action Digital Piano
Looking for the best digital piano for beginners can be involving. After reviewing a wide range of digital pianos, I would recommend you to try the Williams Allegro 2 88-Key digital piano, and I know you will be pleased with the purchase.
This is a full-size piano with 88 hammer action weighted keys and features a brilliant new custom sound library. There are a lot that you will enjoy in this piano like 10 great sound samples including the modern pianos and the favorite electronic keyboards and synths.
I love the instrument because it is highly versatile and very portable. It also provides an outstanding reverb and chorus effects.
Anybody even beginners can use this piano with ease. It has easy to use controls, graphic LCD, built-in speakers, metronome and split layer function.
- Versatility- The piano can be used for play or practice or just taking music lessons.
- Portability- This is a perfect instrument that allows you to take it from one point to the other.
- Ease of use- Designed with very easy to use controls
- Bright LCD display- It ensures that you get an easy readability and parameter adjustment.
- USB/MIDI connectivity- You can connect the instrument for added flexibility for computers and recording.
- Poor quality speakers- The speakers of the piano are loud for a small room.
Casio Inc. WK245 PPK 76-Key Premium Portable Keyboard
Playing piano is one of the most heart-soothing activities that you can engage in. If you are a piano enthusiast and have used different types of pianos, you still need to try the Casio Inc. WK245 PPK 76-Key Premium Portable Keyboard.
This high-quality keyboard comes with everything that you need. It comes with a pair of closed-cup headphones, power supply, and X-style stand. With this instrument, you will enjoy up to 600 built-in sounds, so it gives you the opportunity to play any style that you want. On top of that, there are 180 rhythms that you can play along with.
It doesn’t matter if you want to learn or just performing, you will enjoy the backlit LCD that keeps everything in view even the music notation.
- Connectivity- The piano has USB MIDI that gives an easy connectivity with your PC or Mac.
- Onboard sampling- This is an advanced feature that helps you come up with unlimited unique sounds.
- Samson HP30 Closed-Cup Headphones-They are a great savior especially on late nights where the volume control is important.
- World Tour X-Style Stand- It is designed with heavy duty steel for durability. It provides a secure-lock height adjustment from 25.25 to 38.75 inches hence perfect for sitting and standing performance positions.
- Perfect vision-It has a LED display to help you see everything clearly.
- Squeaky keys- The keys of the piano feel very cheap, and they have too much side movement.
Best 88 Key Keyboard: Things to consider when buying
Choosing the right 88 key keyboard can be challenging. There are many types of keyboards out there with different features and specification. This simple buying guide aims to help you pick the right keyboard that will suit your musical needs.
Sensitive Touch Response
When you are purchasing the best 88 keys keyboard, it is important to focus on the keys. The piano should be equipped with sensitive touch feature that allows you to control the levels of voice based on your playing strength. This means that the faster and stronger you press any key, the better sound it should produce.
Key size, weight, and action there are a few that have hammer-action keys and weights that make them feel just like an acoustic piano. For those pianists who play synth-weighted keys or synth-action, then you need to pick a keyboard with fully weighted hammer action keys.
Most of the keyboards can be powered using USB, but you still need an external power adapter especially if you will be controlling hardware sound modules or synth without a computer. If you also want to use your keyboard with your iPad, you also need to use an adapter.
This is also another feature that you should check when buying your keyboard. It is only applicable to use MIDI over USB when you are using your controller with your computer. If you need to control other hardware, you need to ensure that your keyboard features 5-pin MIDI Out port.
Ensure The Keyboard Has Weighted Keys
This is crucial if you are choosing a keyboard for a beginner. When you press the keys down, they should spring up just like that of a piano. Are you going to purchase cheaper model keyboards, you might not find this feature. Weighted keys help in building finger strength, and this enhances your playing techniques.
With everything side, I believe you will find it pretty simple to chose a perfect 88 key keyboard. Whether you want one for playing, practicing or simply for fun, there is a product that will meet your requirements. Weigh your options, budget and the features you want then pick any of these quality instruments that I have reviewed above. They are great and will enhance your music experience.