Bass guitar strings are definitely used on the bass guitar. They are different from other guitar strings in that they are thicker to maintain enough tension. Bass guitars provide very deep lows and the type of strings you choose for your bass can make a big difference in the tone you will get from your bass.
Selecting the right bass guitar strings is probably one of the toughest decisions that you will make. You have so many options such that it can be difficult to tell whether your bass will be hard, or whether the strings will give you and upright bass.
When you are comparing the bass strings, you will note that some are brighter and offer a punchier tone that is ideal for playing rock, pop and country among others. Other strings are pretty warmer, and they are perfect for playing reggae, old school rock, and jazz.
For you to get a perfect bass, you need to consider the choice of strings. I have made this guide and reviews to help you know the different types of strings and how they are different from each other. You will also get a buying guide to help you as you select the best bass guitar strings.
Best Bass Guitar Strings 2017
Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Round Wound Bass Set
Ernie Ball is one of the greatest brands on the market that produces quality bass guitar strings. Many legendary guitarists use their strings because they provide a very warm and rich tone.
The Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Round Wound Bass Set is one of their best selling bass guitar strings that is made with the best raw materials.
The strings are well known for producing rich and balanced tone to compliment all bass guitar types as well as playing styles.
The strings feature a unique packaging system that prolongs the life of the strings and keeps them fresh. They are commonly used by both amateurs and professional musicians. If you are looking for the best bass string for metal or any other genre, this one will be great.
- Balanced tone- The strings feature nickel plated steel that is wrapped around a tin plated carbon steel core that gives a very balanced tone.
- Stays fresh- The strings are packaged in an ultra low humidity environment hence they stay very fresh.
- Versatility- The strings complement all types of bass guitars, and they also suit any playing style.
- Round-wound- This provides maximum clarity and serious punch.
- Quality issues-The strings are stiff and rattle too much.
D’Addario EXL160 Nickel Wound Bass Guitar Strings
The D’Addario EXL160 bass strings are certainly the best choice for many players, and they suit all genres and styles. All the strings are wound with nickel-plated steel hence providing a very bright and excellent intonation.
If you play jazz, rock or any other genre, these strings will provide you with the universally appealing tone to suit your playing needs for any electric bass.
The strings are designed in the US, so you have no doubts about their quality performance. They are made to fit long scale basses with a string length of up to 36 ¼ inches.
- Innovative packaging- The strings are well packed to reduce waste and also provide protection from corrosion.
- Quality- You can be sure that the strings will give you the best performance because they are made with quality materials.
- Suits all styles- It doesn’t matter which genre or style you play, these strings are made to meet all the needs of bass guitar players.
- Nice tone- The strings feature a nickel plated steel that provides an excellent tone for all playing styles.
- There are no cons for the guitar strings so far
DR Strings Bass Strings, Black Beauties
Do not compromise on the quality of strings you buy for your bass. If you spend a little more money acquiring the best strings, then you will not a very big difference with the type of tone that you will get.
Equip your bass guitar with the DR Strings Bass Strings, Black Beauties the next time you will be changing your strings. These are medium gauge strings that are designed with a super thin coating on the plain strings and the wrap wire. The strings are also handmade with a black polymer coat to extend their life.
The strings offer a very reliable tone for both acoustic and electric. The users of the strings say that they get more volume, less unwanted overtones and great clarity s compared to other uncoated strings. The coating also protects the strings against corrosion as a result of humidity, and this promotes their lifespan.
- Quality coating- The strings feature the latest coating technology that provides an increased tonal life.
- Quality construction-The strings are handmade crafted to make them high-quality instrument strings.
- Extended life- The super thin coating on the plain strings and the wrap wire extends the life of your strings.
- Coating wears out first- The strings are great, but the coating comes off very fast.
D’Addario EXL170 Nickel Wound Bass Guitar Strings
Choosing the right bass guitar strings is something that is becoming hard daily. Companies like D’Addario continue to provide unparalleled impact in the development of quality bass guitar strings.
The D’Addario EXL170 is just one of their best selling guitar strings with nickel roundwound. This makes the strings brighter and very aggressive as compared to other standard strings.
The strings are nickel plated set, and this makes them warm and articulate. The strings fit long scale basses with a scale length of up to 36 ¼ inches. They also come in different gauges like .045, .065, .080 and .100. The strings are made in the US, and this gives you no doubt that they are high-quality strings.
- Round wound with nickel-plated steel- This provides the strings with a distinctive bright tone and very clear fundamentals.
- Suits any style- The strings are a perfect choice if you play jazz, country or pop bass. If you also need best bass strings for slap, they will be a perfect selection.
- Innovative packaging- The strings are well packaged, and this reduces waste as well as protecting them from corrosion.
- Not coated- The strings do not have a coating, so they won’t last long as compared to coated strings.
- Strings not individually packaged- Getting the strings out of the package can be difficult.
Ernie Ball Extra Slinky Electric Nickel Wound Bass Set
If you are bass player, you must have heard about Ernie Ball. The brand is well known for its exceptional quality strings that are perfect for acoustic, electric and bass players.
If you want to try their best bass guitar strings, you can get the Ernie Ball Extra Slinky Electric Nickel Wound Bass Set which provides you with a very rich tone.
The strings are considered as the most popular bass string alloy, and they are well balanced. They are also designed to compliment all bass players and any playing style.
For those who love the USA made products, these are just right for you, and they provide you with quality and durability because they are well crafted.
- Nice packaging- The strings are packaged such that they remain fresh and in the best condition.
- Quality materials- The Strings are manufactured with the finest and freshest raw materials to guarantee you with quality.
- Rich and balanced tone-The strings give a very nice tone. They can be used to play different genres and also suit all playing styles.
- Nickel wound Slinky bass strings- They feature nickel plated steel that is wrapped around a tin plated high carbon steel core to provide a balanced tone.
- The strings are not stiff- They rattle too much when you are playing.
Fender 7250 Nickel-Plated Steel Roundwound Bass Strings
Fender is not only known for its quality guitars but also for the production of great guitar accessories. If you want to try their strings for your bass guitar, you can get the Fender 7250 Nickel-Plated Steel Roundwound Bass Strings, and I know you will love the rich tone produced by the guitar.
The strings are purposely made for rock, funk and any other style of music where the bass is needed. These medium light electric guitar strings will give you the opportunity to get the best feeling and sound ever.
The strings also give a nice tone for recording, practicing, concerts and they are well built to provide you with a long life.
- Available in different scales- You can get the strings in long scale and medium scale.
- Quality built- These are not the kind of strings that will disappoint you. They are well built to offer longevity.
- Tone-The tone of the strings is amazing. It makes them perfect for any music and playing style.
- Easy to use- The strings can be used with ease by beginners, hobbyists and professional players.
- Nickel plated steel- the strings are roundwound and have a nickel plated steel making them perfect for rock, punk and other styles of music.
- The strings are not longlasting-The strings are decent, but their durability is questionable.
Elixir Strings Nickel Plated Steel 4-String Bass Strings
This is our last bass guitar strings in our series of the best product it is not certainly the least. The Elixir are tailor made strings which are nickel plated and stainless steel construction options for four, five and six string sets. You can also get the strings in any gauge that you want.
The strings brag of an innovative coating technology that protects the outer part of the string from corrosion, and this prolongs the life of the string. The coating is also important because it reduces finger squeak.
The strings also have an ultra-thin NANOWEB coating that is made purposely for base guitars and provides a smooth and natural feel as well as enhancing your grip.
- Patented coating technology- The coating is effective in protecting the strings from corrosion hence extending their life.
- Ultra -thin Nanoweb coating- Effective for providing a smooth and natural feel.
- Tone quality- The strings provide rich and rounded tone with high clarity.
- Better grip- The coated strings reduce finger squeak and provide a better grip.
- Coating sheds off- The coating on the strings sheds of, and you might see color on your fingers.
How To Choose The Best Bass Guitar Strings
Apart from the reviews provided above, you also need to learn some tips that will help you pick the right strings for your bass. They include:
Different materials are used to make bass guitar strings. You can get strings that are made with pure nickel which is the original material for making guitar strings. The strings are warmer and expensive, and they retain their tone longest, so you do not need to keep replacing them.
Stainless steel is another common material used to make bass guitar strings. The strings are brighter and provide a more gain than the nickel strings. They are also course as compared to nickel strings.
We also have nickel plated strings which is the most common type of string. The strings are designed from steel that is coated with a thin layer of nickel, and they produce a balanced tone. The steel gives the strings some brightness while the outer later provides warmth and makes it smoother to touch.
Other types of materials that are used to make bass guitar strings include copper plated steel, polymer coated strings and color coated strings.
You also consider the gauge of the strings before purchasing. The gauge refers to the thickness of the strings. The thicker the guitar string, the richer the tone you will get. You should also know that thicker strings can be hard to play because they need more strength to press down as compared to thinner strings.
The scale length refers to the relationship between the length and the diameter of the strings as well as the pitches they produce. Short scale basses are known to have scale lengths between 30-32 inches while the long scale basses have a scale length of 34 inches. Younger players will find short scale basses great.
Bass guitar strings are also available in coatings. This means that a thin layer coat is applied to the string to prevent corrosion from oils and sweat. Coated strings are long lasting as compared to those that are not coated.
Windings are also different and some of the most common windings you will get on bass guitar strings include:
Roundwound-this is one of the most common types with ridges on the windings.
Halfround- They are ground down to provide a smooth feel and a warm tone.
Flatwound- They reduce finger noise and provide a smooth, warm, mellow sound.
Taperound- They have a nylon outer and provide you with a shorter decay and more thud.
I must stress that picking the right bass strings is very important. If you pick high-quality strings, then you can be guaranteed of a better tone. With the multitude of bass guitar strings that are on the market, you can experience a difficult time fishing the best.
After reading through the reviews of the best bass guitar strings, I know that you will be in a position to pick the best when you will be considering changing your guitar strings. All the strings discussed above are highly rated and provide you with satisfactory tone. Just try any of them, and you will love playing your bass.